Job Opening for Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) is available
Full time and Part time Night Shift
Full time- $7500
Part time- $3750
Hospital LPN | Night Shift
The Licensed Practical Nurse-Certified is responsible to provide professional nursing care to patients under the supervision of an RN, DON, and/or Nurse Manager. The LPN-C is responsible for all aspects of basic nursing delivery. All LPN’s working in the acute and swing bed setting at Saunders Medical Center will maintain an LPN-C certification.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
LPN-C duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Each of these duties will be performed under the direct supervision of an RN, DON, and/or Nurse Manager.
1. Performs patient care responsibilities considering needs specific to the standard of care for patient’s age, including geriatric, and general population although care for the pediatric patient may not be performed. A pediatric patient is defined as being less than 19 years of age. Documents the care provided.
2. All central lines and PICC line IV therapy must be performed by a RN.
3. All port access and flushes must be completed by a RN.
4. May assist in the ER but cannot assume care of any ER patient.
5. RN must complete the admission assessment but the LPN may assist with other parts of the admission such as social profile and any other delegated tasks in the LPN scope of practice.
6. Demonstrates ability to perform assessments and re-assessments on all patients according to standards of care. Care is delivered to patients throughout the lifespan, excluding pediatric patients.
7. Responsible for assisting with assembling the patient’s chart and checking to see that all authorizations, releases, and other required forms are attached.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of medications and correct administration of such based on age of the patient and patient’s clinical condition.
9. Calculate the rate of IV fluid infusion for adults.
10. Perform veni-puncture in the hand, forearm, antecubital fossa, or upper arm with IV catheters less than 3 inches in length.
11. Administer IV medications for which nursing interventions are routine and predictable in nature related to responses and adverse reactions, not including:
A) Blood and blood products
B) Antineoplastic drugs
D) Anti-arrhythmic drugs
12. Insert a flexible nasogastric tube (non-stylet guided). The initial insertion must be performed under the direct supervision of an RN or physician on staff.
13. Demonstrates knowledge of pain assessment and management techniques, and educates patient and/or family regarding pain management.
14. Communicates appropriately and clearly to co-workers, charge nurse, medical providers, patients and their families.
15. Identifies and addresses psychosocial, cultural, ethnic, and religious/spiritual needs of patients and their families.
16. Demonstrates ability to offer guidance and assistance to nursing assistants in direct patient cares.
17. Demonstrates knowledge of patient rights, always focusing on patient’s needs and providing quality care, keeping in mind the family needs as well as those of the patient.
18. Demonstrates ability to develop and implement patient care plans and discharge planning in consultation with an RN and medical provider.
19. Maintains strict confidentiality and HIPPA compliance at all times and report violations to the Privacy Officer.
20. Insures safe transport of patients within the facility and remains cognitive of patient safety at all times.
21. Insures appropriate labeling and handling of requisitions, specimens, and patient possessions, using bio-hazard protection as appropriate.
22. Responsible for handling controlled drugs and narcotics and maintaining mandatory facility records of administration, counting documentation, handling of narcotic keys, and maintaining required locking of storage spaces.
23. Responsible for recognizing emergencies and responds with the proper protocol as established by facility policy and procedure and/or medical staff.
24. Demonstrates basic knowledge of phone etiquette and courtesy in contacts with patients, family, co-workers, and visitors.
25. Performs quality work completely and efficiently and in a cost-effective manner.
26. Arrives at work punctually when scheduled.
27. Demonstrates flexibility, initiative, and ingenuity in performing job tasks.
28. Maintains personal hygiene and appearance appropriate for the position.
29. Demonstrates professional conduct.
30. Performs cleaning duties as needed, including but not limited to stripping beds/tables, prepares disinfecting solutions, disposes of soiled linens and waste, cleans equipment, washes instruments, and/or restocks supplies and equipment.
31. Understand and comply with the requirements of the Saunders Medical Center’s Compliance program, including but not limited to the Code of Conduct, the Compliance Policy, all Saunders Medical Center policies for compliance, and compliance plans affecting specific duties and responsibilities.
32. Participate in quality assessment and continuous quality improvement activities as requested and assist in initiating changes for the betterment of the facility and its functions.
33. Willingness to participate on committees and/or additional facility activities as recommended.
34. Practice proper fire, safety and disaster procedures as set forth by Saunders Medical Center.
35. Participate in all safety, security, and infection control programs that are mandatory as well as those required and provided by the department.
36. Participate in all education and training programs regarding compliance as required by Saunders Medical Center policy and as requested by the Director of Nursing.
37. Other duties assigned by the Director of Nursing or Nurse Manager.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Graduate from an accredited Licensed Practical Nursing program.
2. Additional education to obtain Licensed Practical Nursing-Certified title.
3. Prefer 1 year of LPN-C experience in an acute hospital setting.
4. Current license as an LPN-C in the State of Nebraska.
5. BLS training required.
6. ACLS training desirable and mandatory with one year of hire.
7. PALS certification desirable.
8. Must maintain continuing education credits as required for license renewal.
Must be able to read, write and follow written and oral instructions and possess positive skills in communication.
Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, patients, visitors and the general public.
Must possess the ability to calculate at the level necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
Ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in oral, written, diagram or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must stand frequently. The employee must sit, reach with arms and hands and occasionally lift 50 pounds. The employee must occasionally walk and climb or balance as well as bend, squat, or kneel.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Attendance is essential and required for a successful working environment.